Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Panko Crumbs... Deliciously Crunchy!


I have in the past been a cooking wimp.  It's a challenge I've been confronting... and usually good things have come from me overcoming my fear.  I don't know why, but I can be browsing the web for a few new recipes, and find one that looks absolutely delicious.  I read through it, mouth watering, until I suddenly am confronted by a MYSTERY INGREDIENT.  By this I mean it's an ingredient I have never used, or possibly never heard of, before. 

This happened to me last year as the same recipe kept coming up in my box of "to try".  The word's "Panko Crumbs" just freaked me out a little.  I know it sounds silly.  But "Panko?"  Where would I find such a thing?  What would it look like? Did I really want to spend extra time in the store with my toddler and my baby looking for Panko crumbs?

Turns out they are super easy to find.  They are right by the bread crumbs, in my grocery they are in the spaghetti aisle.  They look like this (see above) and have been life changing.

I now use panko crumbs for pretty much anything that calls for bread crumbs.  They are a little bit larger, and they are crunchy and delicious.  My favorite uses for them is on chicken (it tastes like fried chicken but it's baked, and much healthier!) and in casseroles that call for bread-crumb toppings.

Really, you just have to try it for yourself.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...