Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ode to Kosher Salt


Back in dental school we had a friend who made these WONDERFUL pretzels for our BYU football game nights.  (Recipe to come).  The recipe calls for kosher salt.  Up until that point I had no idea what kosher salt was, and I wondered what the big deal was.  Now I wonder how I did without it.  Kosher salt is one of my FAVORITE ingredients.

Why kosher salt? Because it's fabulous.  Because it's larger in size (grain) than regular boring old table salt, but a bit smaller than sea salt which frankly, I feel is often overkill.  (Sorry, you sea salt lovers out there).

What do I use it on?  Pretty much everything.  I just love the texture.  And I love how a light dusting of kosher salt brings out the flavor of nearly any dish.  I use it on casseroles, vegetables, potatoes, rice, chocolate pretzels, pizza and pasta (and possibly surprisingly, it's my secret ingredient on chocolate chip cookies). 

If you haven't discovered the joy of kosher salt for yourself, I recommend picking up a container the next time you're in the grocery.  It's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...