Sunday, August 5, 2012

Peeling Peaches

My mother in law is visiting this week, so we took the girls to a local farm to pick peaches one day.  We were surprised to learn that we had to pick a minimum of ten pounds... which left us with a boatload of peaches.  But when life gives you peaches, make cobbler!  *Recipe pending*

While I love eating peaches, I hate having to peel them.  Lucky for me, my mother in law had this wonderful tip!

 For easy to peel peaches, use a method called "blanching."

1. Wash the peaches off to remove fuzz and any chemical residue

2. Bring a pot of water to boiling

3. Fill a large bowl of water with ice cubes and water

Place the peaches in the boiling water for approximately 60 seconds.


Immediately place the peaches in the ice water and allow to cool for a minute or two.


Peel the peaches! The skin should pull right off in large strips.  If it's still difficult to remove, repeat the boiling water to ice water process and try again.  This process will also help the peach pull right away from the pit.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! This shows what a REALLY bad mommy I am!!! It's been so long since I had you can peaches with me that you don't remember doing this!! Oh well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a WONDERFUL mother! And I remembered that somehow those peach peels would just slide off... I just thought it was your "mommy magic" that made it work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...